How it works
- It encourages your skin to make more collagen. The pinpricks from the procedure cause slight injury to the skin and the skin responds by making new collagen-rich tissue.
- The new skin tissue is more in tone and texture.
- Small pricks under the skin with a pen-like tool.
- The pinpricks are so small that you likely won’t notice them after the procedure.
- Before getting started by 15-20 minutes, a topical anesthetic will be applied to reduce the chances of pain.
- After the procedure, a serum or calming treatment might also be applied.
Micro needling is most often used on your face to target:
- acne scars or other type of scars
- age spots (sun spots)
- Dark spots or patches (hyperpigmentation)
- fine lines and wrinkles
- large pores
- reduced skin elasticity
- uneven skin tone
- stretch marks
- Micro needling is safe, minimally invasive, requiring no downtime.
- You may not be an ideal candidate for micro needling if:
- have certain skin diseases, such as psoriasis or eczema
- have open wounds
- have had radiation therapy recently
- have a history of significant skin scars (keloids)
- using certain acne medications
- Total preparation and procedure time is maximum 30-45 minutes.
- Results start to show after four to six weeks of treatment, but you may need at least four sessions for the best results.
- Each session must be spaced between four and six weeks apart.
What to expect after the procedure?
- Minor redness and irritation for a few days after the procedure.
- You can go back to work after the procedure if you’re comfortable.
- Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for at least 1 week. After 24 hours, always use sunblock (30 SPF or higher) and wear a hat if you’re outside.
- Use a painkiller if you experience any soreness.
- You will need to wait at least 48 hours before any makeup products can be applied to the skin.
- Wash your hands before you touch your face.
- In the first 72 hours, you need to avoid swimming pools, saunas, and situations where you might sweat heavily, including intense workouts at the gym.
- The overall cost depends on the size of the area being worked on.
- It’s considered effective in treating minor scarring related to acne, wounds, and aging.
- You’ll notice brighter and firmer skin.
- Ideal results are achieved after multiple sessions.
- Micro needling is far more effective than at-home rollers.